Sunday, September 22, 2013

Copper Modern Indian Cuisine - Dilworth

Recently, I've been on a big Copper kick. It is one of my favorite places to grab some lunch because a) it's within walking distance of my office, b) the customer service is outstanding, c) the restaurant is located in a really cute converted house, and d) they make the best freaking Indian food I have ever ingested. While Copper is out of my price range at dinner time for all but special occasions, their lunch prices are incredibly reasonable, especially considering the outstanding quality of the food. I also have a special place in my heart for Copper because the servers are always super nice whenever I go to pick up a to-go order, which is much appreciated in the middle of a stressful work day. Recently, I walked over from my office and upon being presented with the check, realized that I had completely forgotten to bring my wallet. I felt like a big idiot, apologized profusely, and told the server that I'd run back for cash, but he insisted that I go ahead and take my lunch back to my office and just come back to pay whenever I had time. I really appreciate that kind of customer service, and it's definitely made a repeat customer out of me.


A to-go order of Copper's Saag Paneer, plus salad, rice, and naan taking over my desk at work

Back to the food... my two favorite lunch items are admittedly stereotypical American choices -saag paneer and chicken tikka masala. Maybe I'm a little too predictable with my ordering, but both meals are delicious choices and I always ask for them to be prepared extra spicy (but not "Indian spicy" unless I'm trying to have a runny nose for the next three hours). At $9 and $11 respectively, they're also very wallet friendly orders.


Copper's salad -puny, but tasty!

At lunchtime, Copper's entrees are served with a side of naan, rice, and your choice of either a side salad or soup (can I mention again how good of a bargain it is?!). I always opt to order the salad, which consists of a mix of romaine lettuce, carrots, beets, cherry tomatoes, and a tangy vinaigrette dressing. It's pretty good, but the portion size is tiny and the taste pales in comparison to the delicious entrees.


Saag Paneer

The saag paneer is surprisingly light and both the spinach blend and the tender cubes of paneer are fantastic. Recently, I tried to make my own version saag paneer at home and while the paneer turned out okay, the saag was bland and tasted like the flavors didn't fully develop (and the spices turned my white gel manicure a strange, ombre neon yellow color... not so hot). Copper's saag, on the other hand, is perfectly seasoned and tastes rich but surprisingly light -so much better than the typical, overly-creamy bases that I'm used to being served at Indian restaurants. The paneer is also really good -it's firm, tangy, and a stellar complement to the smooth, spicy saag.


Chicken Tikka Masala

The chicken tikka masala is just as good as the saag paneer and picking a favorite between the two is just about impossible. The rich, roasted tomato-flavored tikka masala sauce is thick, chunky, and filled with large chunks of tender, high quality white meat. I'm also a huge fan of Copper's naan. When given a choice, I normally order garlic naan, but the original naan at Copper is light, fluffy, and perfect for dipping (or in my case, completely drowning) in both the saag and the tikka masala sauce. 

All in all, Copper is not only my favorite place to get Indian food in Charlotte, but probably my favorite place to get Indian food in all of North Carolina. I'll be saving my pennies to return for dinner, but in the meantime I enthusiastically give their lunch options a 9.5/10.

Copper Modern Indian Cuisine on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for reviewing the Restaurant. I will definitely gonna add it to my must try restaurants list this year. The pictures are amazing and I am feeling hungry right now. Yummy!!

    Indian Restaurant Germany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely worth a visit! Let me know what you think!

      Delete